Saturday, December 18, 2010

Side Dish Saturday -- Buffalo Mac & Cheese

I wish I would have remember to take a picture of this dish. It was really a good mac & cheese. It has a good spice to it but it wasn't overpowering at all.

I found the recipe at Our Family Eats and adapted it just a bit. It was a hit at my Girl's Night Dinner and the leftovers got rave reviews from the boys too. This would be a perfect addition to a potluck dinner or a holiday dinner that you need a side dish. G didn't have any and I know he wouldn't eat it -- he doesn't care for homemade mac & cheese and the spice would have been a bit too much for him.


Buffalo Mac & Cheese
adapted from: http://www.ourfamilyeats.com/

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
salt
1 pound macaroni
3/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard (I omitted)
1 packet of Ranch Dressing (I added this, it wasn't in the original recipe)
2 1/2 cups half and half
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese (I used shredded cheese)
8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
2/3 cup sour cream (I used 1 cup)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (I omitted)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a large casserole dish (9x13 is recommended).
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni until al dente. Drain.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour, ranch packet and mustard and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half and half, and the hot sauce. Stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the cheeses and whisk in the sour cream. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.

Add the macaroni to the cheese mixture and stir together. Pour into the baking dish.

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Stir in the panko and the blue cheese if using. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.


Linked up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment