Sunday, March 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Sunday -- Red Beans & Rice

We fix Red Beans & Rice at least a few times a month. It is a quick and easy staple in our house and I always have link sausage in the fridge/freezer and a packet of some brand of red beans & rice in the pantry. So when I saw a receipe on Plain Chicken I just had to give it a try, especially since it is made in the slow cooker!

I made this while my parents were visiting and we all enjoyed it. I thought it had a tiny bit of spice to it on the first night but the leftovers (which I enjoyed) didn't seem to be that spicy. The only change I made was to the sausage. 3/4 of it was plain and the other 1/4 was Jalapeno sausage -- next time I would do half and half.

(I have gotten out of the habit of taking pictures of the food we have made lately, I need to start doing it again)

Red Beans & Rice
1 pound dried small red beans
1 pound link sausage, sliced
5 cups water
1 cup tomato sauce (I used the whole small can)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt (I left out)
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low 8-10 hours.
Serve over hot white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment