Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wonton Soup - YUMMY!

This recipe is from the cookbook Weight Watchers Take-Out Tonight (page 28). It was an easy recipe and really yummy.


Wonton Ingredients
1/4 pound ground chicken I used ground pork, couldn't find ground chicken
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger I used 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon salt I would leave this out next time
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
16 (3 inch) square wonton wrappers

Broth Ingredients
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduce sodium soy sauce
1/2 pound bok choy, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups) I omited, didn't have it and not sure if we like it
4 scallions cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1) To prepare wontons, combine chicken, scallions, ginger, soy sauce, cornstarch, seaseme oil, salt & pepper in a bowl, set aside.

2) Arrage 8 wonton wrappers on a work surface. Place 1 teaspoon of mixture in the center of each wrapper. Moisten the edgees of each wrapper with water and pull one of the top corners diagonnally over the filling to make a triangle. Press the edges firmly to seal. Bring left and right corners together above the filling. Overlap the tips of these corners, moisten with water and press together. Place completed wontons on a baking sheet lightly covered with cornstarch and cover with a damp paper towel. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers, making 16 wontons.

3) To prepare soup, bring the broth and soy sauce to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the wontons and bok choy; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the wontons are cooked through and the bok choy is tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.

Nutrion information as it appears in cookbook:
per serving (1 cup soup with 4 wontons)
179 cal, 3g fat, 1g sat fat, 22 mg chol, 769 mg sod, 24g carb, 2g fib, 14g prot, 106mg calc
Points: 3





I really liked this soup and it was easy. The only thing was that there wasn't enough broth to the soup. I had the serving size suggested and so did E and there was lots of wontons left and not much broth at all. I will make this again but will double the broth portion. Making the wontons was fairly easy, I had a few ugly ones but they tasted just the same as the others. I didn't add the bok choy and that was okay, don't think I will ever add it. I prefer a simple wonton soup. It tasted and looked like what I order from our fave chinese delivery place.


Linked this receipe up at
Mommy’s Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. Wow that soup does sound delish! Even though I am not a big foreign food person it actually sounds very good. I will have to save this recipe, and totally look into making it later.

    Thanks girly!!

    Have a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good! I almost always get Wonton Soup whenever we order Chinese out, I think it would be nice to have more than one bowl at a time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete