Friday, February 26, 2010
Mexican Chicken and Zucchini
Our favorite little mexican food place is called Rio Grande and they have a dish that is chicken and zucchini - it is only on their lunch menu and it is yummy. It is basicly grilled chicken with verde sauce, grilled zucchini and monteray jack cheese and it is served with beans of your choice, rice and tortillas. Very yummy and simple!
Tonight, I decided to recreate this dish and it was good. I didn't end up using a verde sauce because the chicken I cooked earlier in the week already had a chili lime sauce on it. But it was very close and good. We had spanish rice and charro beans with it.
Here is the recipe for the chilie lime chicken: (adapted from www.realmomkitchen.com)
2 cans diced green chilies
6 cloves of minced garlic
2 T chili powder
juice of 1 whole lime
4-6 large chicken breasts
Mix chilies, garlic, chili powder and lime juice. Put chicken in slow cooker and pour mixture over the top. Cook 8-9 hours on low.
To create the mexican chicken & zucchini:
1) Chop chicken into bite size pieces, set aside.
2) Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch slices, dice 1/2 of a medium size onion.
3) Add a pat of butter into a hot skillet, once melted add in onion & zucchini. Let it cook for a few minutes with the lid on skillet. Stir and put lid back on for a few more minutes, I like my zucchini to start to get a bit of brown color on them.
4) Once the zucchini is cooked, add in the chicken to heat through.
5) Top with monteray jack or cheddar cheese
6) Serve with tortillas, rice, beans and salsa. I made PW Salsa.
(I took the leftover and made a rice bowl with it. Rice on the bottom, then beans, then chicken mixture. I will add cheese after it is heated up.)